“To be evangelizers of souls, we need to develop a spiritual taste for being close to peoples’ lives and to discover that this is itself a source of greater joy. Mission is at once a passion for Jesus and a passion for his people.” – Pope Francis, The Joy of the Gospel (Evangelii Gaudium), November, 2013
Hearts of Faith
Woven into the fabric of Holy Spirit School, our Catholic Faith is Igniting Hearts through both learning and practice. Each school day begins and ends in community prayer led by the student body. Students receive daily Religion instruction and have regular opportunities for Confession, Eucharistic Adoration, and praying the Rosary and Stations of the Cross. Weekly Masses provide opportunities for student participation and additional teaching moments in the most sacred of celebrations. Holy Spirit School is blessed to have a wonderful relationship with the church parish, and the students benefit from consistent interaction with the Pastor and Parochial Vicars.
The school and parish work hand-in-hand to prepare eligible students to receive the Sacraments of Penance and First Holy Communion in Second Grade, and Confirmation in Eighth Grade.
Hearts of Service
Holy Spirit School is Igniting Hearts of our students not just in our Faith but through service to others. Students are encouraged to participate in various charitable endeavors throughout the school year to serve both the local and global community. Many of these projects are student-led, providing leadership opportunities for the student body.
Service Opportunities Over the Years Have Included:
- Ton of Love Food Drive benefiting Catholic Charities St. Lucy Project
- Little Sisters of the Poor food & toiletries collection
- Annual Toy Drive benefiting Fairfax County Police Department’s Santa’s Ride
- Upkeep of the National Junior Honor Society school garden
- Pinwheels for Peace annual prayer service and remembrance in connection with World Peace Day
- Outreach activities for local retirement communities
- Got Life? Club’s Bottles for Babies small change collection benefiting the Tepayac Center
- Community outreach via visits to the Annandale Christian Community Action – Child Development Center
- Community building 5K Spirit Run benefiting the Holy Spirit School Resource Program
- Holy Spirit School Altar Servers
- Middle School cookie baking benefiting the KAIROS cookie prison ministry
- Monthly cards for homebound parishioners
- Turkey Shoot basketball free throw competition benefiting Catholic Charities
- Annual 7th and 8th grade dance with all proceeds going to various charities
- Food collection benefiting Food for Others’ Powerpack Program
- Classroom small change collection benefiting The Wildlife Conservation Society
- Classroom small change collection benefiting The House of Mercy
- And many more!